Tiberiam
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tiberiam

The official forum for the region of Tiberiam

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Anti-Islamic Film

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Fideliara
Duckspeaker
Fideliara

Honor: Casual RPer
Casual Roleplayer

Anti-Islamic Film Empty
PostSubject: Anti-Islamic Film   Anti-Islamic Film EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 1:48 pm

Saw [Only admins are allowed to see this link] by the Washington Post the other day. It raises some interesting questions.

Most assuredly, this is a tremendous overreaction. Demanding the death of religious intolerants is laughable hypocrisy. At least it would be, were rationality, logic, and communication what drove these types of dialogue. Sadly, it is not. Religion has the fascinating property of being able to suck the reason and logic out of any discussion it enters. Antagonism between Christians, Muslims, and Jewish peoples has not ever displayed patterns of rationality or acceptance and likely never will.

In America critique and satire, even hate, are protected by freedom of speech so long as they do not incite violence. The problem here is that the film has incited violence. Over a dozen people have already died in protests and the incidents at American embassies have done near-irreparable damage to American foreign policy. Freedom of speech is freedom from fear of those your opinion might offend and enrage. But what freedoms should be given to those who knowingly use the system to create chaos and "prove their point" by so offending the sensibilities of another group that they are driven to violence? I would never imply that someone would willingly put their life in serious danger, but it is hard to not imagine that this is exactly the kind of response people like Nakoula Basseley Nakoula want when they stage these publicity stunts.

More deliciously, and directly related to my area of interest, is how this compares and contrasts to America's policy of "targeted killing" suspected members and supporters of extremist Islamic groups. If Pakistan were to send a drone over California to blow up Mr. Nakoula's house while he slept one night or while he met with other members of "Media for Christ" (the professed anti-Islamic Egyptian-Christian charity the helped film and produce the movie), how would the world respond to that? Definitely food for thought.

In the end Mr. Nakoula may not need to worry about his safety for long. [Only admins are allowed to see this link] soon enough for violating the terms of his parole for check fraud. He had begun using aliases again (one of which he used to make the film) and also uploaded "Innocence of Muslims" to the internet without permission from his parole officer (another violation of his particular parole).

I am very curious what you all think about this particular case, and about the larger picture as well. Should freedom of speech have clear limits when addressing international issues? What should be the response of the American government to such occurrences? How does a nation respond to a bounty being placed on one of its citizens?
Back to top Go down
Lenyo
Steward
Lenyo

Honor: Honorary RPer
Honorary Roleplayer

Anti-Islamic Film Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti-Islamic Film   Anti-Islamic Film EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 3:45 pm

I don't have as much time right now as I'd like, so I'll post my tangent first and then respond to the articles and what you said tonight. A similar, and in my opinion, more interesting story is the French cartoonist who published naked comics of the Prophet Muhammad. That guy is just trying to get hate mail (or worse). Still, I'd support France's defense of his horrendously inflammatory cartoon, were this not an enormous double-standard when it comes to freedom of speech.

[Only admins are allowed to see this image]
Back to top Go down
http://www.xkcd.com/
Lenyo
Steward
Lenyo

Honor: Honorary RPer
Honorary Roleplayer

Anti-Islamic Film Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti-Islamic Film   Anti-Islamic Film EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 12:02 pm

Freedom of speech shouldn't be limited, but that doesn't make the film any less tasteless. I was amused by the idea of reversed targeted killing. I'm surprised more Americans aren't outraged by the military's imperial actions.
Back to top Go down
http://www.xkcd.com/
Sponsored content

Anti-Islamic Film Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anti-Islamic Film   Anti-Islamic Film Empty

Back to top Go down

Anti-Islamic Film
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tiberiam :: General :: The Pub-
Jump to: